Recipe by AzureLynn
I have had to go dairy free so there are many recipes I cannot even try. This one is one I modified from Chicken Rice Casserole. It has a nice flavor considering its diary free. I used leftover grilled chicken in it. My youngest son can sometimes be hard to please and he really enjoyed this.
Top Review by Becky H.
Hi: I found as I was cooking the sauce it seemed rather thick. I simply added some Almond milk to the thickness I liked. I did use 4 tablespoons of flour - next time i will try 3.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup peas (frozen works well)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced frozen carrots
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs (make sure they are dairy-free as some store-bought bread crumbs contain milk products)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet bring 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp water to a light simmer.
- Add flour slowly and blend until smooth.
- Add thyme, onion powder, garlic powder.
- Slowly add 2 cups of water and bouillon then continue blend until its a smooth consistency.
- Add cooked chicken and stir.
- Lightly grease a casserole dish and layer rice in bottom.
- Layer peas and carrots onto rice.
- Carefully pour chicken mixture over vegetables.
- Dust bread crumbs over the casserole.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Enjoy with a fresh salad.