Recipe by h_metts
I was having a major craving for curry chicken but all I had in the freezer was beef so I made the best of it -- surprisingly, my husband ACTUALLY liked it... go figure :)
Top Review by lalissa12
This is a great recipe and it's very easy to make substitutions when you have a curry craving, but maybe missing a few things. The easiest things to substitute is with ground ginger and with jarred/canned jalapeno. Of course, it is better with fresh...sometimes, my grocery store just doesn't have them. It's great without the meat, or with chicken instead of beef too (The beef is the best though!) Give this recipe a try, you won't be disappointed.
- 2 lbs beef, cut in small cubes
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the curry powder, turmeric and salt in a small dish.
- Place the cubed beef in a large bowl and cover with ½ - 2/3 of the seasoning mix and set aside.
- Cook onions, ginger and jalapenos in a Dutch oven until onions are brown and soft.
- Add the two cans of drained diced tomatoes and the remainder of the seasoning blend, allow to come to a slow boil.
- Add the meat to the tomato and onion blend and allow to cook for 10 minutes at medium heat until all ingredients are well blended.
- Pour the can of coconut milk into the meat mixture. Blend together until a uniform mixture has been created.
- Turn the stove to simmer an allow to simmer for an hour to and hour and a half. Towards the end of cooking taste the gravy to see if more salt is needed.
- Serve over rice.