Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
very simple to prepare on the stovetop. this is also nice served over pasta or rice.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped--reserve juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro or 1⁄4 cup basil
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- in a saucepan heat 2 tbsp oil.
- add onion, garlic, jalapeno and ginger and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- add curry powder, stirring until fragrant.
- add tomatoes and their juice, coconut milk, sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- lower heat to simmer and cook stirring occasionally for 15 minutes until thickened.
- in a saute pan heat remaining oil, add shrimp in 1 layer and cook until pink, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- add sauce to the skillet and simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened and shrimp is cooked.
- stir in cilantro or basil.
- garnish with lime wedges.
This is superb ! As I wasn't able to purchase any fresh basil today, I substituted 1 TBS dried basil, adding it in step 2. I served this over my own Cardamom and Fennel Flavored Rice Recipe #94024 (sorry for the shameless self-promotion, but the two went together very well).My ownly regret was that I didn't have more shrimp- there was easily enough sauce for 2 lbs, if not more. Thanks for posting !!