Found on alleasyrecipes.com. Posted for ZWT8- India.
Make and share this Curried Potatoes and Peas (Alu Mattar) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup ghee
- 1 tablespoon scraped finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 med.-sized firm ripe tomatoes (washed and coarsely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 2 cups fresh green peas (or sub 2 10 oz. pkgs. frozen peas)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- In a heavy 2-3 quart sauce pan, heat the ghee over high heat until a drop of water flicked into it splutters instantly. Stir in the ginger and garlic, then add the onions and salt. Lower the heat to moderate and, stirring constantly add the cumin, turmeric and red pepper. Stir in tomatoes and 2 Tblsp. of coriander. Still stirring, cook briskly for 5 minutes, until most of the liquid in the pan evaporates and the mixture is thick enough to draw away from the sides and bottom of the pan in a dense mass. Drop in the peas and potatoes and turn them about with the spoon until they are evenly coated with the tomato mixture.
- Stir in the water, bring to a boil over high heat, cover tightly, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the peas and potatoes are tender but still intact. Taste for seasonings and serve at once, sprinkled with the remaining Tblsp. coriander and masala.
Lots of flavor here with all of the wonderful spices! There was a nice gentle kick to it and it tasted great. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8