Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very warming and wholesome winter soup. You can use many different types of vegetables.
Make and share this Curried Lentil and Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces carrots, diced
- 8 ounces celery, diced
- 8 ounces potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons of hot curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 8 ounces red lentils
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Gently melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Gently fry the onions and garlic until transparent.
- Add the other vegetables and gently fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoe puree and the vegetable stock and cook for approximately 20 minutes until all the ingredients are cooked.
- Just before serving add the fresh coriander leaves.
We loved this hearty soup! I doubled up the recipe and used 2 parsnips in place of potatoes and I'm so glad I did as they gave it a lovely sweetness. I've frozen portions of this soup and they reheat well in the microwave. Thanks for posting!
We are not vegetarians, but still enjoyed this wonderful, full bodied soup. I also added some leftover veggies I had in the fridge (green beans, yams) and it was even better. It always tastes better the next day. I would serve this soup for any occasion.
This is simply wonderful and always goes well in the winters at my home. Its vegetarian and thats what I love most about it, specifically the combo of lentils and veggies!!