Hearty Chicken and Vegetable Soup
This is the perfect winter warming soup...thick and hardy, a stick to your ribs meal when served with some crusty bread.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, halved, washed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 swede or 1 potato, peeled, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry soup mix, rinsed (I used a mix of green and yellow split peas and red lentils)
- 8 cups chicken stock (can use a good quality powder)
- 1 kg skinless chicken legs
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft but not coloured.
- Add carrot, celery, zucchini and swede. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in soup mix, stock, chicken and 1 cup cold water. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until soup mix and vegetables are tender add a little more water/stock if required.
- Remove chicken legs from soup. Allow to cool slightly. Remove meat from bones.
- Roughly chop chicken meat and add to soup.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Very good hearty soup! I made this as stated but with 700g of chicken breasts, which I took out of the soup after 20 minutes of cooking and refrigerated until 10 minutes before serving. I did skim the scum from the soup as it was cooking and added some pepper. Served with recipe #314197 . Thanks for the recipe!
For the most part, I made only half a recipe, but did use 1 leek, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 medium carrot, 1 medium potato, a lentil soup mix, 5 cups of chicken stock & 2 large chicken breasts, along with the other ingredients, of course, & seasoned it all with lemon pepper rather than S&P! Made into a very tasty, satisfying soup, which I served with a garlic infused (whole cloves!) multi-grain bread! Your recipe is definietly a keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my teammates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #15]