My My My Minestra - Italian Vegetable Soup With Pasta
Some of Italy's finest ingredients make up this warming soup. Adapted from 'Pasta Cooking' by Parragon.... the original recipe called for spinach, which I didn't fancy, so I subbed zucchini. I get the impression that our zucchini are generally a bit smaller than those in the Northern hemisphere, so balance the amount used with your other vegetables, just feel your way! You don't want your soup to be over-loaded with any one vegetable. Hope you enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into matchsticks
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pints water
- salt and pepper
- 1 (420 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 120 g short-cut macaroni
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 60 g parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oil in large heavy pan and fry vegetable strips until just browning, stirring occasionally. Pour on water, season to taste with salt and pepper, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, macaroni, parsley and rosemary to the soup, and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this for lunch, and it was quite filling. I ended up adding about twice the parsley and rosemary, because the pasta needed a bit of a boost of flavor. And I used small-size pasta shells since didn't have any Ditalini or elbow macaroni on hand. But other than those two minor chances, I stuck to the recipe as written, and it was quite good. Thank you, Karen. We enjoyed this soup recipe!Reply
So delicious and healthy too. Made this soup today for lunch and served it with some cornbread on the side (that's a Southern thing LOL). The only changes that I made was to use some vegetable stock and I added a partial bag of frozen corn that was in my freezer. This is really a nice comfort food for chilly, rainy days like the one we are having today. Made for the For Your Consideration tag game.1Reply