Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious soup to start a dinner with. Or have it as a meal with a salad and/or sandwich. Good hot, or chilled.
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- plain yogurt or sour cream, as an accompaniment
- chopped scallion
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion, garlic and ginger in butter over moderately-low heat, stirring, until onion is softened.
- Stir in curry and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 10 seconds.
- Add carrots, stock, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and 1 ½ cups water, and boil.
- Simmer mixture, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and, in a blender, puree mixture in batches, transferring it to a large saucepan.
- Whisk in cream, honey and salt to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top each serving with a dollop of yoghurt and a sprinkling of scallion.
- Good hot or cold.
Delicious. Very clear & accurate instructions. The amount of seasonings was perfect -I especially like the touch of honey in this.