This makes a great lunch or snack and is low-fat. Great for bringing to work or school and can be eaten hot or cold. I like it with Braggs sprinkled on top (but I'm known to add braggs to any rice or couscous dish for extra flavour!). Could also add some cooked chicken to make a main dish, maybe with a side green salad or additional steamed veggies.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup canned chick-peas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup couscous (uncooked)
- In a large pot, cook onion, red pepper and garlic in the olive oil over medium low heat until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, peas, corn and spices and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, increase heat and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat and let sit for 6 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve immediately or pack for tomorrow's lunch!