This makes a great lunch or snack and is low-fat. Great for bringing to work or school and can be eaten hot or cold. I like it with Braggs sprinkled on top (but I'm known to add braggs to any rice or couscous dish for extra flavour!). Could also add some cooked chicken to make a main dish, maybe with a side green salad or additional steamed veggies.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup canned chick-peas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup couscous (uncooked)
- In a large pot, cook onion, red pepper and garlic in the olive oil over medium low heat until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, peas, corn and spices and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, increase heat and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat and let sit for 6 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve immediately or pack for tomorrow's lunch!
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! Such a balanced, healthy meal with so much flavor. A new favorite, for sure.
Absolutely DELISH! We loved all the veggies and chick peas! The only thing I might change next time (and there will be a next time) is to add about 1/2 tsp more curry. We felt it could have used just a little more. I served this with Honey Roasted Pork Loin (#29493) and they were perfect together! Thanks for posting Babzy! UPDATE: This makes way more than 4 servings - for DH and myself I cut the recipe in half and we get 4 servings out of that.
I used two cans of chickpeas instead of using the peas, because I don't like peas... and I didn't use tomatoes, because my guy is allergic. It was really good and hearty, even with those substitutions. It was also really fast and easy. I'd definitely recommend it. :)