Recipe by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
"I Hate To Cook Book" is a delightful, funny and curious cookbook, copyrighted 1960 and was a girl's best friend. For the women who did it all, and was not predisposed to "liking" cooking to boot. This "Sunday Chicken" adaption is absolutely a lifesaver, for all of us, even now, in todays world. Just takes *chicken* and a couple other ingredients. Please give this your seal of approval--and most of all, *enjoy*.
Top Review by Nyteglori
I cheated a little bit and put a cup of rice in the bottom of the casserole dish and added a can of water. I of course had to cook it a bit longer but it was wonderful. Reviewed for ZWT 7.
- 4 chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional)
- 1 small apple, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced fine
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can mushroom soup (I use low sodium)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half (I use skim)
- 1 pinch paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil, (and butter if using) in a small skillet.
- *Optional step*~I brown the chicken in this skillet first, on each side.
- Remove chicken if browning and put in baking dish.
- Or if you didn't brown chicken, just place salt and peppered chicken pieces in baking dish.
- Add onion and apple, cook until soft over med/high heat.
- Add garlic, cooking for 30 seconds.
- Add curry powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add soup and half and half, and cook until heated.
- Ladle sauce over chicken, covering chicken.
- Place in oven, bake, uncovered~for 1 hour, or until completely done. Chicken temp should be 160 degrees internally.