Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a easy and different way to use up those cucumbers from the garden. The horseradish and mustard add just the right amount of bite without being too spicy. Adapted from epicurious.com.
- 2 English cucumbers (or burpless or seeded regular cukes)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (or 2 T Splenda blend)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons drained bottled horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced onion, broken into rings
- Slice cucumbers approximately 1/8 inch thick.
- Sprinkle sliced cucumbers with salt and let stand for 15 minutes; rinse, drain and pat dry.
- Mix together the vinegar, sugar, mustard, horseradish and dill. Add to cucumbers along with the sliced onions. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- This will keep in the refrigerator for a few days.
Loved this cucumber salad! It's definitely got more 'oomph' than the usual cucumber salads. I made this according to the recipe. I thought it was best after chilling for several hours. Thanx for posting this great salad!
What a great salad. I was a bit worried that the mustard and horseradish would make for a bitter salad, but that wasn't the case. Refreshing and full of flavor.