Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a REFRESHING, tangy Salad--low in fat. If you want it creamy and not so low in fat, just add 2 tablespoons mayonnaise. Be sure to slice the cucumbers and onions very very thin! Serve as salad or top open faced sandwiches with it!
- 2 cucumbers, very thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream or 2 tablespoons yogurt
- salt and pepper, to taste (I like a lot of pepper)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- Mix cucumbers and onions together.
- Mix rest of ingredients together in a closed bowl and give a shake.
- Add to cucumbers, chill till very cold & serve.
This is a classic Polish recipe. However... You are leaving out the MOST IMPORTANT STEP!! After the cucumbers are sliced you MUST get as much water out of them as possible! You can do this by laying the cukes out on a plate with another plate pressed on top of it. Leave that in the fridge for at least one hour. If you don't do this your salad will be watery and yucky!!
Made this exactly, except used a white onion instead of the red. Other then that, I wouldn't and didn't change anything. I did however, salt and drain my cukes first. (Had already done that prior to selecting this recipe.) Grabbed some dill and chives from the garden, and the whole taste was so yummerisish-ish, I could of eaten the whole bowl! Highly recommend! Great - Reets!
Love, love, love this. I left out the onions...and used Splenda instead of sugar. This was an instant favorite for my family.