Recipe by Skeeter
I never liked cube steaks until I found this recipe in TOH Quick Cooking magazine. These turn out melt in your mouth good and the gravy, wow!!
Top Review by bmcnichol
I'm sorry but my family did not like this. I followed the recipe exactly as written and our meat had no flavor to it at all. I did add a lot of salt and pepper but I think it needed that and more while it was cooking. It smelled so good when it was cooking and I thought they gravy would draw through the meat but it didn't.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 beef cube steaks (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope mushroom gravy mix
- 1 envelope onion gravy mix
- hot mashed potatoes or cooked noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Add the steaks, a few at a time, and shake until completely coated.
- In a skillet, cook the steaks in oil until lightly browned on each side.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the onion and 2 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a bowl, whisk together gravy mixes with remaining water.
- Add to the slow cooker; cook 30 minutes longer.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.