This is a great appetizer! Everyone loves these!I am always asked for the recipe. It will definitely be a hit at your next party. The topping can be made a day ahead. This is from Bon Appetit 2002.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, stemmed, caps chopped
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped thinly sliced prosciutto (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 18 slices sourdough bread (1/2 inches thick, diagonally sliced)
- chopped parsley
- Melt butter in a heavy large skillet over medium high hear. Add all mushrooms and garlic and sauteed until mushrooms are cooked through and brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add cream and boil until liquid is completely absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add bleu cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Mix in proscuitto. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl. (Mushroom topping can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. If you make this the day before make sure to bring the topping mixture to room temperature so it is easy to work with.).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Bake until just golden, about 5 minutes.
- Mound 1 generous tablespoon mushroom topping on each slice of bread. Return to oven and bake until heated through, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Delicious!!!!!!! We loved these. Made these as a snack before dinner but we liked it so much I heated up the rest and we ate them for dinner. I used 8 oz of cremini mushrooms and 4 oz of shiitake (those were the size packages I could find). I am not a huge fan of bleu cheese so I only used 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of fresh grated parmesan. So good!!!!
OMG! This is an amazing recipe! I cut the recipe in half as there was just two of us and we finished every last bite! I also used only shiitake mushrooms. This is a recipe that deserves more than 5 stars. I will keep this recipe with me forever, thanks Susie!