Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I threw this together and prayed! I am paid in 2 days and needed a good, easy and economical meal with what I had on hand. You can use regular corn and change the spicing to go Italian, Spanish, Mexican etc. I loved what came out and well enough to add to my 'weekend cook for the week' menu. You can also add chicken or any leftover meat to this and shrimp would work as well if added near the end of cooking. This is the only recipe I have ever posted where I will say ''use it as a springboard.'' I can tell you one thing; I have never had more fluffy or soft brown rice in my life. c.\2007
- 2 cups brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) bagbirds eye steam fresh frozen southwest corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (12 ounce) canany canned beans
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Add all to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook on high 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Stir gently and serve.
- This completely fills a 4qt. crockpot when done.
I was hesitant to make this, but I had the ingredients and added more leftovers. It was awesome. I had taco meat, unseasoned and browned ground beef, a jar or homemade salsa, ranch style beans to name a few. I also used white long grain rice. It was delicious and made a ton. Lots of leftovers. Didn't add some of the raw vegetables as I had a lot already cooked in the added ingredients.
I am giving this a five because it has potential. As is, it is very bland. I will be doctoring it to my family's tastes next time!
I tried this recipe and it was super good. I didn't add the celery but everything else was great, did it on my crock pot.