Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Healthy, satisfying, and comforting. Best served with a squeeze of lemon or a splash of white wine vinegar.
- 1 lb green lentil
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- Combine all ingredients except spinach in crock pot. Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours, or until lentils have cooked and soup has thickened.
- Stir in spinach and let sit, covered, a few minutes until spinach has completely wilted.
Delicious! Perfect for our vegetarian family, thick, hearty, almost meaty(!) stew. I added one 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, cut up, for additional tomatoes, extra spinach for good nutrients - everybody LOVED it!
PS 1) I ALWAYS use a slow cooker liner to make cleaning up a breeze. 2) One of my daughters bought me a "Vidalia Chop Wizard" a couple of years ago, it's the only kitchen "gadget" I actually use, cuts chopping time by 75%!
This turned out better than I hoped for! I can't wait to eat it tomorrow as I know it will be even better. I added fresh lemon juice at the end and I will definitely make this again.
Very hearty, very flavorful. Easy to make... 15 or 20 minutes worth of prep time to cut the veggies. I will definitely be making this one again and again.