Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This veal stew is easy to make, and absolutely delicious. Substitute regular onion for green onions, if you wish.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 bunch green onion, white part only, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1⁄4 cup condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice (or V8 juice)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs stewing veal, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 piece lemon, rind of, about 2 or 3 inches long
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add onions and cook until softened.
- Add celery seed, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add vodka and cook for 2 minutes, then add beef broth, juice and Worcestershire and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Place veal cubes and lemon peel in slow cooker, then pour sauce over meat.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until veal is tender.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.
different taste have made several times worth the try