Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Yummy Split Pea Soup...
Make and share this Crock Pot Split Pea Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 16 ounces dried split peas
- 2 cups ham
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 3 celery ribs
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 quarts hot water
- Dice: ham, carrots, onion, and celery. I used chopped garlic. (You can do this the night before).
- Layer ingredients in crock pot, and pour hot water on top.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours, or low 8-10 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
- Freezes well, will need a little extra water when reheated.
This is quite yummy! I did make some changes tho. Instead of water I used low sodium fat free chicken stock, 3 medium sized potatoes, no ham, dried onion (I didn't have fresh onion on hand), no extra salt (because there's plenty in the chicken stock), dried garlic (didn't have fresh), and a little rosemary. It turned out GREAT! Thanks!
This is REALLY good soup, TRUE! Left out seasoning salt as would get salt from ham too! Using chicken stock is the secret of success for split pea, Heated it, combined it with this recipe! Thanks!
With a food processor, this is super easy. I had it all in the crockpot in less than 20 minutes, only dicing the ham by hand (because I like big chunks of ham in my split pea soup). And this is (as with most soups) better the second day. The results are good. I don't have a lot of experience with homemade split pea soups, but this seems like something I'm likely to make again the next cold, rainy day I'm pressed for time. Thanks for posting!