Recipe by Noah's Mom
A hearty lentil soup taking its influence from the flavors of India and the Mediterranean coast.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup portabella mushroom, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a cast iron pan or heavy frying pan over medium heat. Heat the olive oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute for 3-5 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Add the carrots and portobellos and saute for another 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms begin to absorb the oil. Season this step with 1/2 tsp pepper and salt to taste.
- Add the tomato paste and stir just to combine the vegetables.
- In the bottom of your crock pot, add the curry powder, oregano, thyme and remaining pepper. Add the sauteed vegetables and lentils and mix well.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and stock. Stir to combine and add salt to taste.
- Cook in a crock pot on high heat for 6 hours.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!