Hearty Lentil Soup
photo by breezermom
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 large white onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chipped
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth (or, 2 cans broth, 1 can water)
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb lentils
- 6 slices chopped uncooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried fennel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt & pepper
- Melt butter, sauté minced garlic and onion.
- Add celery and carrot, sauté another few minutes.
- Add broth, rinsed/drained lentils, and potatoes, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add bacon and spices.
- Cook 30-40 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is wonderful! The cinnamon and cloves added such a delicious twist.....I thought I wasn't a lentil fan, but this soup has changed my mind. I absolutely loved it. Like the previous reviewer, I had to add more liquid. Made for my adopted chef from PAC. Thanks for the great recipe! Saving to my keeper book.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am really into the concept that quick, affordable, AND healthy is totally possible, and using fresh and local foods while doing it! I'm definitely guilty of taking shortcuts in a pinch, but I never make anything with a can of Cream of Chicken soup (blech). Recently I've been all about lentils and quinoa, and any vegetable on the grill! <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> Also, I'd just like to state for the record here: "Marinade" is the dressing you put on meat to make it juicy and tasty - i.e. "Use italian dressing for a marinade." "Marinate" is the act of using that dressing - i.e. "Marinate the chicken one hour". Ok, that's all from the Vocabulary Police for today. ;)