Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is wonderful served in a bowl, topped with cheddar cheese and crusty buns on the side, if you don't have a crock pot just simmer on top of the stove over low heat for about 3 hours or more.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 -4 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes
- 3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped (or use red bell peppers)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup beer
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups canned mushroom slices
- 1 (28 ounce) can baked beans (Heinz is good!)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- seasoning salt or white salt
- black pepper
- In a large pot or skillet brown the ground beef with onions, garlic, celery, jalapeno peppers and chili flakes until the beef is no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients; stir to combine bring to a simmer then transfer to the crock pot (or simmer on top of the stove over very low heat for about 3 hours).
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for about 5 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper about halfway through cooking.
Very good, especially when served with some sort of bread. Next time I will omit the sugar. It was a little on the sweet side since I only had Bush's baked beans on hand. Lots of leftovers to freeze!
I love all kittencals recipes. I did omit the kidney beans as I do not like them and no carrots on hand Still was fantastic. Thanks kitten!
This was quite good! I didn't have any jalepeno peppers, but my family can't handle too much spice, so that was probably for the best. The only thing that surprised me was just how much food this recipe makes! I invited a friend over for dinner once I realized that we would have a lot of food.