4 hrs 5 mins
I recently made some fresh chorizo sausage (I posted it here at RecipeZaar, too - it's a great recipe!), and this stew is the result of cooking up part of that batch. Very rich and tasty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 709.77 ml hot water
- 14.78 ml beef bouillon
- 473.18 ml chopped cabbage
- 425.24 g can yellow hominy, drained
- 198.44 g can minced mild green chilies, with liquid
- 236.59 ml minced yellow onion
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 9.85 ml minced roasted garlic
- 118.29 ml chopped roasted red peppers or 118.29 ml yellow bell pepper
- 0.59 ml fresh ground black pepper, to taste (or black or pink or green mixture)
- 9.85 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 453.59 g fresh chorizo sausage, removed from the skin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- shredded cheese, for garnish (cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack, etc)
- 1In the crock pot on high temperature, dissolve the bouillon in the hot water.
- 2Add the cabbage, hominy, chiles, onion, celery, garlic, bell pepper, and freshly ground black pepper.
- 3Over a high temperature in a skillet, saute the unskinned chorizo sausage in olive oil until browned, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- 4Add cooked chorizo to the crock pot.
- 5Simmer on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until it has reached the texture you prefer.
- 6Add salt and pepper to taste, add your favorite garnishes, and enjoy.
- 7Serve along with nice crusty bread or- even better- cornbread!
- 8Note: if your chorizo didn't add enough spices/flavor for you, feel free to add ancho chile powder, cayenne, jalapeno, whatever floats your boat. :).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Chorizo Stew
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.9
- Calories from Fat 422
- Total Fat 46.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 99.9 mg
- Sodium 2492.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 30.6 g