Chorizo, Chickpea & Banana Stew
photo by rpgaymer
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 3⁄4 lb chorizo sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pint beef stock or 1 pint chicken stock
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- cilantro, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, garlic and ginger and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the chorizo and brown the meat for a further 2-3 minutes. Drain off any excess fat if desired.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, stir, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and bananas to the stew and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the bananas are just starting to fall apart. Season with a salt & pepper and serve garnished with cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This definitely is a very unique and tasty stew. Sometimes you really need to take a culinary leap outside the box and try something, that to you, may not seem to fit together -- and you just might find that you are pleasantly surprised. We definitely were and the result was a really nice blend of flavors that complimented each other really well. Thanks for posting this recipe. I will certainly make it again. Made for PRMR, January, 2013.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Feel free to use my recipes.