Chicken Chorizo (Pollo Con Chorizo)
photo by Andrew Sudron
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 150 -250 g chorizo sausage
- 4 -6 pieces chicken breasts (either whole or cut into bite-size pieces)
- paprika (to season)
- 2 onions
- 6 garlic cloves (or garlic paste)
- 400 g canned tomatoes, passata (or equivalent)
- 2 bay leaves (fresh or dried, also called laurel)
- brandy (to flavour) or red wine (to flavour)
- salt and pepper (to flavour)
- olive oil (for cooking)
- boiled potatoes (to accompany)
- Season the chicken liberally with paprika.
- Brown the chicken in a pan using the olive oil.
- Remove the chicken.
- Meanwhile chop the chorizo into pieces and add to the pan. (Some peel the 'skin' off, but this is optional. Don't boil the chorizo! Fry it).
- Add and fry the onions with the chorizo; The juices from the chorizo will blend with the onion.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook lightly for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, laurel, sherry, brandy and everything else, including the chicken.
- Cook on the hob or in the oven for another hour, stirring if appropriate. (Or put in the slow cooker for a few hours).
- Serve with boiled potatoes. Peas are a good accompaniment.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made it exactly by directions but we felt it needed a little more flavor. I cooked the chorizo sausage according to package directions boiling it first in a small amount of water (Johnsonville brand) but they were really greasy. I removed the casings before adding to chicken. After it cooked I let it cool and removed some of the grease before serving. There's got to be a way to get more of the grease out. I'll keep watching to see if anyone has a solution. Thanks!
This was delicious and very healthy since I used chicken breasts and chicken Chorizo sausage. I followed the directions exactly (used Sherry and a Bay leaf or 2). The directions do not instruct to but I cut/shred the chicken into bite size pieces and added back to the pot to simmer for the last 30-45min.
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm from Leeds in the United Kingdom. I worked in Spain for four years and enjoyed eating many Spanish dishes.