Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Make the salad first and chill. The contrast in temperature makes the salad as do the sweet/hot/creamy/crunchy flavors and textures. A Foster's Farm reciple winner.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb thin-sliced chicken breast fillet
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar (may substitute white wine vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large navel oranges, zest of, finely shredded and divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed
- 1 large avocado
- 1 serrano chili
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup peanut oil or 1⁄3 cup corn oil
- In large bowl, whisk together orange juice, champagne vinegar, sugar, 1 teaspoon orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Set aside.
- Chop fennel bulb into small cubes. Peel avocado, remove pit and chop into small cubes. Cut chile in half lengthwise, remove and discard seeds and finely mince. Add remaining zest of 1 orange, fennel, avocado and chile to dressing; toss gently and refrigerate while preparing chicken.
- Preheat oven to 200°F Place flour in shallow bowl; combine with remaining salt and pepper. In second shallow bowl, beat eggs well with fork. Place panko breadcrumbs in third shallow bowl; stir in zest from one orange.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Dredge each chicken fillet in flour mixture, then dip in eggs and coat with panko-orange mixture. Place coated chicken in hot oil and saute, about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked throughout. Remove chicken with tongs and place on cooling rack over a cookie sheet in oven to keep warm.
- To serve, place salad on plates. Top each salad with one or two chicken fillets.