My mom used to make filet of sole this way several times a month when I was growing up. Dover Sole works best, but I've also used Petral Sole with success.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fillet of sole (ask for the thinner pieces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons prepared whole grain mustard (dijon or creole recommended)
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gound cayenne pepper or 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped capers
- 1Make Remoulade sauce first by stirring all ingredients together thoroughly.
- 2Refrigerate covered until ready to use (at least 20 minutes).
- 3Wash filets in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Cut filets into strips (about 2" wide by 3" long).
- 5Place filet strips in bag of flour mixture and shake until all pieces are well coated.
- 6Lay strips out flat (not touching) on a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 7Heat oil in heavy frying pan until it reaches 325 degrees F.
- 8Place as many pieces of fish in pan as you can without crowding them.
- 9Turn several times until the fish is deep golden brown.
- 10Remove and drain on cooling racks (draining on paper towels tends to make the fish soggy).
- 11Serve immediately using the Remoulade sauce for dipping.
Browse Our Top Sole and Flounder Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sole and Flounder Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Fillet of Sole W/ Remoulade Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1447.3
- Calories from Fat 1093
- Total Fat 121.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 62.2 mg
- Sodium 3351.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 29.7 g