Creole Sausage and Rice Pie With Red Bean Crust
- Make the Red Bean Crust—heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan; add in the onion, celery, chopped pepper, and garlic; stir/saute until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add in the beans, salt, pepper, and bay leaf, stirring to combine; slowly pour in the broth, and simmer for 30 minutes (may refrigerate the beans until ready to proceed).
- Preheat the oven to 375°; in a 12-inch saute pan, heat the oil; add in the sausage; stir/saute for 2 minutes; add in the onion, celery, garlic, green pepper, cayenne, and salt; stir/saute for 4-5 minutes until the onions begin to turn golden.
- Add in rice and stir to coat it evenly.
- Gradually add in the chicken broth, stirring up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the rice mixture to a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish or a 4-quart casserole; bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, the rice should have absorbed most of the liquid; carefully spoon the Red Bean Crust over the top of the rice.
- Bake for another 10 minutes until the rice is tender; garnish the casserole with the chopped green onion.