A very basic creole sauce that can be used when making shrimp creole, stuffed peppers or my favorite as a gravy over meat. I especially love this with rice topped with leftover meatloaf slices and then this sauce spooned over.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 -3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1In a medium size saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil.
- 2Add the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic cooking until slightly wilted.
- 3Add the tomatoes and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- 4Add about 1 1/2 cups stock, taking care not to add to much. You can always add more if needed.
- 5Add the seasonings, bay leaves, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce; stir and reduce heat to simmer.
- 6Mix the cornstarch with equal amounts of water and stir 1 tablespoon of mixture into sauce.
- 7Allow to cook for a few minutes, stir and add additional water/cornstarch mixture if the sauce looks thin or add additional stock if sauce is to thick.
- 8Simmer about 20 minutes adding additional stock as necessary.
- 9The last 10 minutes of cooking time, stir in the parsley and green onions.
- 10Remove bay leaves, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- 11Use the sauce to make your favorite recipe for shrimp creole, etc.
- 12This sauce can be frozen in sturdy container and thawed in refrigerator before reheating and using.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (838 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.7
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 54.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: