Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Since I already posted the Jambalya, I thought I better include the gumbo recipe too.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons butter or 3 teaspoons margarine
- 3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried, crushed oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups fresh okra or 2 cups frozen okra
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans shrimp, drained
- 1 (7 ounce) can crabmeat, drained,flaked and cartilage removed
- hot, cooked rice
- Cook onion and garlic in butter until onion is tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly until flour is browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, green pepper, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, salt and hot sauce.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Stir in the okra.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir shrimp and crab meat into okra mixture.
- Cook about 5 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Serve gumbo over hot rice.
- (Traditionally, rice is mounded in heated soup plates and the gumbo is spooned around it).
Good and quick. It could be a tad spicier for my taste, but overall a great flavor combination
I added a bit of chili powder and used a bag of mixed seafood, with shrimp, squid and scallops. Came out awesome even the hubby ate it!