1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A spicy, savoury twist on healthy ingredients! Chicken thighs are rich in iron and have a better flavour when cooked in stews and sauces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt-free creole seasoning (like Creole Seasoning)
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup beer or 1 cup low-sodium tomato juice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1Heat half the olive oil in a pot over high heat. Add the chicken cubes and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- 2Heat remaining oil in the pot over medium high.
- 3Add onions, peppers, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- 4Stir in the tomatoes, Creole seasoning and liquid smoke, then add the beer, chicken stock, kale and barley and bring to a boil.
- 5Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 6Stir chicken back into the pot, re-cover and simmer another 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Chicken, Greens and Barley
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.8
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 59.2 mg
- Sodium 110.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 20.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-salt-added diced tomatoes