Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
A spicy, savoury twist on healthy ingredients! Chicken thighs are rich in iron and have a better flavour when cooked in stews and sauces.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt-free creole seasoning (like Creole Seasoning)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup beer or 1 cup low-sodium tomato juice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- Heat half the olive oil in a pot over high heat. Add the chicken cubes and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in the pot over medium high.
- Add onions, peppers, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in the tomatoes, Creole seasoning and liquid smoke, then add the beer, chicken stock, kale and barley and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir chicken back into the pot, re-cover and simmer another 15 minutes.