Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make as an appetizer with skewered, grilled blackened or cajun shrimp or as side dish.
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock, reserve 1/4 cup for spinach
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup Chardonnay wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup blend mozzarella cheese or 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup asiago cheese or 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in deep pot and sauté onion and garlic until translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add Arborio to pot and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add wine to rice and sauté until nearly dry, then mix in spices.
- Add ¼ - ½ cup of stock at a time to rice stirring often until it evaporates and repeat steps until stock is gone.
- During Step 4, in a separate smaller pot, bring ¼ cup of stock to a simmer, add spinach and cover. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly while covered.
- Put cream into a food processor, add spinach mix including juice, and process until smooth.
- When risotto is nearly done, add spinach mixture and mix well. Simmer until risotto evaporates to a creamy consistency.
- Add cheese, mix, and serve.
This was fabulous with the adjustments I made: - doubled the garlic and all the spices - did not cook and puree the spinach. Simply added in the cream, then the fresh spinach, stirred to barely cook the spinach and added the cheese - sprinkled fresh lemon juice on top - pine nuts would also make a good topper
I forgot to review this wonderful recipe. I once made it for a special occasion together with a flavorful salmon dish and it was great! I will try this again for sure!