Creamy Rice Pudding With Cardamom
- Combine milk, cardamom pods and 6 Tbsp of the sugar in a saucepan. Bring to boil, turn to low and stir in rice. Continure stirring until sugar dissolves. Cover and cook over a very low heat for 1 hour. Remove from heat.
- Put egg yolk in a cup and beat lightly. Add 2 Tbsp hot pudding to the cup and mix slowly. Pour mixture back into the pan and stir through.
- Stir in remaining sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring every so often until pudding is thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and discard cardamom pods. Add sultanas and half the slivered almonds. Mix well and let cool completely.
- Whip cream until stiff. Reserve 3 Tbsp and fold in rest into cooled rice pudding. Transfer to a 1/5 litre gratin dish. Sprinkle remaining almonds on top.
- Preheat grill (broiler) to maximum and place pudding under it briefly until lightly browned. Leave to cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.