Recipe by andypandy
This is a very creamy and delicious rice pudding. Everyone wants the recipe after tasting it. It is worth the time and little effort. I have had this since 1965.....
Top Review by Amy020
This was looking like 4 stars until I added the egg. It was really thick and creamy in the pot...and then I added the egg, following recipe to "temper" the egg so it didn't cook solid in the pudding. But I added it and suddenly the pudding was a lot less creamy. Taste was very good - maybe next time I'll make it without the egg?
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 5 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- garnish with cinnamon, and
- cream, if so desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine boiling water and uncooked rice in a large heavy saucepan.
- Cook over low heat approx 15 minutes covered until all the water is absorbed.
- Stir in 4 1/2 cups of the milk and slowly bring to a boil.
- Combining the last 1/2 cup milk, with the sugar, and cornstarch, stir til smooth.
- Add to the rice and milk mixture.
- Lower the heat low, low, simmer.
- Add the raisins, salt, and nutmeg.
- Stirring occasionally-- Cover and keep on low low heat.
- Sometimes takes 1 1/4 hours, to 3 hours-- When this is cooked and thickened properly.
- Beat the egg yolk in a bowl with a small amount of the cooked pudding.
- Add to the rice into the pot and cook one more minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Spoon into a large bowl or separate dishes.
- Garnish with cinnamon.
- Serve with cream.
- This pudding is well worth the time in cooking, a little effort.