Recipe by Rita~
Creamy, A touch of spice, Rich comfort food. You can make in Crock pot. I've also added a package of vanilla pudding mix with a little milk(Not instant) to the rice pudding before going into the oven.
Top Review by Peggy Lynn
Excellent recipe!!!!!!!!!Pleased my stepfather greatly as he said it was almost exactly like his Mom made(a great cook by the way).Perfect just like it was submitted. Thanks!Peggy in TX
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup medium white rice
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup raisins, soaked in
- dark rum, then drained
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat butter in a 4 quart saucepan.
- When frothy add rice and And vanilla beans and pod cook for a minute.
- Slowly add milk, pinch salt,cinnamon, cardamom, sugar, raisins and bring to under a boil.
- Remove pod.
- Transfer to a 9 inch square baking pan and set in oven.
- Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hours stirring every 15 minutes.(Just a note on 01/05/05 I made this recipe again left the vanilla bean in and didn`t stir till after 1 hour in the oven baked for 45 more minutes and removed from oven and removed bean at that time. Came out thick and creamy good.
- Then bake undisturbed for 1 hour.
- Good warm or Cool.
- Top with whipped cream.