Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was a specialty of my mother's. It has been served in our family for Thanksgiving and Christmas for over 40 years, but it can be served anytime. It is very rich and quite delish. I never cooked this from a recipe, so when I wrote it down I had to experiment with the amounts. You may like it with more or less cream &/or butter &/or sugar. Try it like this and adjust if you need to. Bon Apetit. Prep Time: approx. 15 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 25 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 50 Minutes. Makes 12 servings.
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely minced
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup butter (real butter)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup rice (regular rice, not instant)
- Simmer carrots in water with salt, onion and sugar for 10 minutes (simmer with lid on). Bring water to a boil (the water with carrots etc), add rice, stir, when returns to boil, turn stove down to simmer & cover the saucepan. Cook for 20 minutes without lifting the lid!
- Add cream, butter and sugar to taste and consistency desired. Some people like it a little soupier than others or a little sweeter. Just season to taste.
- Enjoy! Bon Appetit!
I had some leftover carrots to use so thought this would be a good recipe. But there was way too much sugar. Blech! And there was very little carrot among all the rice. I tried it a second time without the sugar, I doubled the carrots and then added a clove of garlic and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese for good measure. Still, it just wasn't anything special. I have to admit, I couldn't bring myself to put an entire stick of butter in my side dish, so only used half a stick... maybe it needed the whole thing to be tasty.
We enjoyed this, a different and easy way to make rice and a vegetable! I did cut the sugar a little, since we are not great sweet fans, I probably put in 2 heaped tablespoons, enough to sweeten the carrots without being over-powering. The amount of water was perfect, and the carrots and rice were perfectly cooked, I really enjoyed this. I think I'll add chopped chives next time, for a slightly different flavour and a nice colour contrast! Much enjoyed, thank you! Made for PAC Fall 2008
This was a tasty rice dish. I've never had this type of sweet rice before. It was quick and easy to make. The rice was perfectly cooked and the carrots were sweet and tender. I added 1/2 the butter and cream, this was still a very rich dish . Thank you for posting.