1/2 Photos of Creamy Pea & Chive Pearl Barley Risotto (Reduced Fat)
I am a big fan of pearl barley as it is cheap, tasty, healthy and very filling. This sounds like a great new way to enjoy pearl barley with a bit of an Italian flare. I originally found this recipe in the BBC Good Food Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil in a large, deep pan, then gently fry the onion for 3-4 minutes
- 2Stir in the pearl barley, sizzle for a few mins, then pour in about a third of the stock.
- 3Simmer fiercely for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, adding more stock gradually as it is absorbed.
- 4With 5 mins to go, stir in the peas. After 20 mins there should be some liquid left and the barley should be cooked through.
- 5Turn the heat off under the risotto and let it sit for a min, then stir in the cream cheese and most of the chives.
- 6Season well and serve scattered with the rest of the chives.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Pea & Chive Pearl Barley Risotto (Reduced Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 552.8
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.4 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 14.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free cream cheese with chives