I am a big fan of pearl barley as it is cheap, tasty, healthy and very filling. This sounds like a great new way to enjoy pearl barley with a bit of an Italian flare. I originally found this recipe in the BBC Good Food Magazine.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep pan, then gently fry the onion for 3-4 minutes
- Stir in the pearl barley, sizzle for a few mins, then pour in about a third of the stock.
- Simmer fiercely for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, adding more stock gradually as it is absorbed.
- With 5 mins to go, stir in the peas. After 20 mins there should be some liquid left and the barley should be cooked through.
- Turn the heat off under the risotto and let it sit for a min, then stir in the cream cheese and most of the chives.
- Season well and serve scattered with the rest of the chives.