Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious rice dish that is easy to make and goes wonderfully with fish or chicken. The cream can be eliminated, and the rice is still delicious.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 3 cups chicken broth, boiling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat.
- Stir in rice and lemon zest.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, until rice is opague, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and salt; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Slowly stir cream into rice.
- Continue to stir and cook on low heat until cream is absorbed.
- Season to taste.
This is indeed a wonderful rice we enjoyed at lunch. I omitted the heavy cream and substituted the chicken broth with Maggi vegetable broth with onions(I used4 3/4 cups of broth that I prepared by dissolving 2 cubes of Maggi veg. broth with onions in 4 3/4 cups of water) and butter with Pure Wesson Canola oil. Since the broth contained salt already, I did not add anymore to this dish. I will make this again, it was good! Thank you for sharing:-)
This was a nice change of pace from our usual rice pilaf. The only change I made was to use veggie broth. We tried it both with and without cream (well, half-and-half). Both ways are good, although I think the next time I make it without cream I'll reduce the butter by a few tbsp as it was a bit oily on its own. But with the milk mixed in, that disappeared and it had a wonderful creamy texture. I might reduce the lemon zest by just a bit next time, but that's due to personal preferences. It's definitely made it onto our regular menu rotation, especially on nights we have fish (I served it with SlipC's Cornmeal-crusted Trout, #50499). The rice is also great with asparagus on the side, as the lemon taste really perks up the veggies and the colors look great together. Thanks so much!