1 hr 10 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A creamy pastry-free fish pie. The fish is first poached with the mushrooms, then topped with mashed potato and baked in the oven. I found this recipe on an English website and I'm posting it here for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. If you cannot find the specialty mushrooms specified in the ingredients, use field mushrooms or your favourite variety of mushrooms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 225 g assorted mushrooms, such as oyster, horse, shiitake, trimmed and quartered
- 675 g cod or 675 g haddock fillets, skinned and diced
- 600 ml milk, low-fat is fine, boiling
For the Topping
- 900 g floury potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 150 ml milk, low-fat is fine
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- grated nutmeg, to taste
For the Sauce
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 and butter an ovenproof dish, scatter the mushrooms in the bottom, add the fish and season with salt and pepper, to taste; pour the boiling milk over the top, cover and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- 2While the mushrooms and fish are cooking, cover the potatoes with cold water; add a good pinch of salt and boil for 20 minutes; drain and mash with the butter and milk, and season to taste.
- 3Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fish and mushrooms to a 1.5 litre (11/2 quart American; 1.5 litre Canadian) baking dish. Pour the poaching liquid into a jug and set aside.
- 4To make the sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and celery and sauté until soft but not browned; stir in the flour, then remove the pan from the heat; slowly add the reserved liquid to the pan, stirring until it has been absorbed; then return the pan to the heat, stir and simmer to until the sauce thickens; add the lemon juice and parsley, season to taste, then add the sauce to the baking dish, using the sauce to cover the fish and the mushrooms.
- 5Top with the mashed potato and place the baking dish in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Fish and Mushroom Pie
Serving Size: 1 (687 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 626.6
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 138.5 mg
- Sodium 204.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 43.1 g