Recipe by lazyme
We love this simple, tasty soup. It's a little bit spicy, but you can control the spiciness by the amount of chipotles you add. ZWT Mid-West region (corn).
Top Review by *Parsley*
I enjoyed this corn soup and I thought it was very easy to put together. I only used a little over 1 tbsp of chipoltles and that was just the right amount for me. I made this as written, and I think the 2 cups of water should be chicken (or veggie) broth. After the soup was done, I tasted it, and went back and added some chicken bouillion. That did the trick. I did garnish with the fresh cilantro....I love the stuff. The cheese-lovers out there might enjoy some pepper-jack cheese in or on top of this soup. I will certainly make this again (with the broth of course). Thanx for sharing this.
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups water (or more)
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles, chopped
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices to pot; cook 2 minutes.
- Combine 2 cups water and chipotle chilies in blender and puree. Mix puree and cream-style corn into vegetables in pot. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add frozen corn, cream and oregano; simmer 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.