Recipe by EarlsWife
Creamy, delicious, YUM! You can toast some hamburger buns and even serve this with the traditional burger toppings, i.e. pickles, ketchup, lettuce, mustard, onions, etc.!
Top Review by Digital Girlie
We had Cheeseburger Soup at a local restaurant, Backstreets, and I was trying to find a copycat for it, this was close. I used rotel in place of the tomatoes, celery, and onions. I also pureed half the can of rotel. I used 2% Milk and extra cheese. We really like this, I'll keep tweaking it to see if I can get it closer to theirs.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and coarsley chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 ounces cheddar and american blend cheese, shredded
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute beef, onion, celery and garlic over med. heat until meat is browned and veggies tender; drain off fat.
- Sprinkle flour into beef mixture, stir and cook 2 minutes. Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil, stirring occassionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Add tomatoes, cheese, tomato paste, ketchup, and mustard. Cook until cheese is melted, soup is smooth and just comes to a gentle boil. Stir in milk and heat through.
- Serve with toasted buns and toppings of your choice!