Triple D Cheeseburger Soup
photo by Debbie R.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef (use very lean beef)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 16 ounces unsalted chicken stock
- 16 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- Melt butter and cook onion until translucent. Remove onion.
- Put ground beef in pan. Season with pepper (and perhaps salt, but keep in mind that Velveeta is really salty). Cook until browned and somewhat crispy. Drain. Remove from pan.
- Mix flour and water to make a slurry. Add chicken stock first and then slurry to the pan. Bring to boil, scraping bits off the bottom. Add Velvetta and cook until cheese is melted. Do not bring to a boil.
- Add in onion and hamburger. Season to taste and lower heat to stove's lowest setting. Cover and cook for about 55 minutes. Add half and half, and heat only until serving temperature. Add tomatoes and lettuce at the end. Stir and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
Hi deb, I would also use ground beef with a little fat, because that adds a lot of flavor. I put a little bowl of ketchup, and mustard, on the table too. Some people like it, some don't. This way friends, and family, can put it in their soup at their discretion. We go all out with your recipe! We love it! Deb