Recipe by *Parsley*
I created this casserole while trying to use up some ingredients I had. It came out sooooo good. Sometimes I had some green pepper and/or mushrooms. It's a regular favorite!
Top Review by lauralie41
Parsley you did good! We enjoy these types of casseroles and yours was very tasty. I used ground round, had elbow macaroni on hand, and leftover Recipe #265309 by Tiny Toodles. This one is a keeper, thank you hon for posting!
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 16 ounces large shell pasta or 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in a skillet with onion and garlic. Drain.
- While beef is browning, prepare pasta in a large pot according to package directions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Return empty pasta pot to stove and over med-low heat, stir together tomato sauce and cream cheese until cream cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Reduce heat to low. Add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese; stir well. Add thyme, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add drained pasta, drained browned beef mixture and drained spinach to pot. Gently stir to combine and coat well.
- Pour into a 13 x 9" baking dish or similar size casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to slightly brown.