Cheesy Layered Ground Beef and Pasta Casserole
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- fresh sliced mushrooms, any amount (or use canned, drained)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (or to taste)
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- 4 cups medium noodles (use any kind of pasta you desire, 4 cups measured after cooking)
- 1 cup cottage cheese or 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (optional or to taste) or 2 cups cheddar cheese (optional or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large lasagna dish.
- Cook the pasta until only firm-tender; drain (it does not have to measure exactly 4 cups cooked, careful not to overcook the pasta as it will cook more in the oven) drain and transfer to a bowl, toss with a couple tablespoons oil to prevent sticking; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook ground beef, onion, jalapenos (if using) mushrooms and minced garlic until meat is brown and cooked stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, tomato sauce salt and pepper, stir until heated through (you can the sauce for up to 45 minutes on low heat).
- Spread 1/2 meat sauce on bottom of pan.
- Spread 1/2 noodles on top of sauce.
- Top noodles with 1 cup mozza cheese.
- Mix 1 cup cottage cheese with 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Spread over mozzeralla cheese.
- Top with remaining tomato sauce, noodles,and remaining mozza cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered for 20 mins, uncover casserole (at this point you can sprinkle with grated mozzeralla or cheddar cheese if desired).
- Return to oven to bake for another 10-15 mins, or until bubbly.
Join The Conversation
Awesome - made a few changes but only because of my love for Italian Sausage! The dish stands great as written! Used half Italian pork sausage and half Italian turkey sausage...no onion, mushroom or pepper (kids... am I right?) It still turned out wonderful. This is a great dish! Use all reduced fat cheeses even... so much flavor and beautiful! Great recipe - I love so many of your dishes - they always turn out wonderful!
I changed this up a bit -- used only 1 1/4 pounds ground beef, no onion (but a good sprinkling of onion powder), about 1 cup of mushrooms, no jalapeños and all four cheeses (parmesan, ricotta, mozzarella and cheddar). I used ziti macaroni pasta. I think this will serve 8-10 as it makes a lot! We did like it and will be having the leftovers for a second meal. Thanks for sharing!