Creamy Beef and Potato Bake
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup prepared pasta sauce
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and oil.
- Add the potatoes and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add zucchini, salt and pepper.
- Cook until the zucchini is tender.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Set aside.
- In a skillet, cook the onion with the Italian seasoning until the onion is tender.
- Add ground beef, cook and stir until the beef loses its pink colour.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of milk.
- Spoon the meat mixture over the vegetable layer in the dish.
- Melt the remaining butter, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the remaining milk.
- Cook and stir until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the meat layer.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great recipe! I did a search for recipes that called for all the ingredients I had to use (ie. zucchini, potato, ground beef, mushrooms). This one didn't call for mushrooms but I had to use them, so I added when cooking the zucchini. I used chopped tinned tomatoes and tomato paste as my 'prepared pasta sauce'. Easy! Thanks so much for this. It is truly easy and delicious and will definately be a regular dinner for us.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>