Recipe by Tish
You will never miss the cream in this soup. It is a filling vegan recipe anyone would enjoy. Found in one of my favorite Moosewood cookbook
Top Review by Ginger_B
I cooked this soup yesterday, it was quick for soup :) I wish I had cooked the broccoli longer after I had it all together, and maybe a little less dill, but I'm not much for dill in soup... other than that, I was satisfied with it. I had to make my boyfriend STOP "tasting." It was very aromatic.. my boyfriend claimed it smelled like "Stuffing seasoning." I don't think so, but so he said :) It was a very new and unique taste, so thanks for sharing! :)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 stalks broccoli
- 4 1⁄2 cups water or 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- minced fresh chives
- lemon slice, garnish (paper thin)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine in a soup pot the oil, onions, celery, garlic and salt.
- Cook covered on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, rinse the broccoli, cut into 4-5 cups of florets, and peel and chop the stems to make about 2 cups.
- Reserve 1 cup of florets.
- When the onions are clear, add 4 cups of the water or stock and all the broccoli except for the reserved florets.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the oats and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until the broccoli is tender and the soup begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and then stir in the lemon juice, dill and pepper.
- Working in batches, puree the soup (in a blender, preferably) until smooth.
- Bring the remaining 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Add the reserved broccoli florets and cook, covered, until they are bright green and crisp tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir the florets and their cooking water into the soup.
- Garnish with lemon slices and chives if desired.