1/5 Photos of Creamless Broccoli Soup
You will never miss the cream in this soup. It is a filling vegan recipe anyone would enjoy. Found in one of my favorite Moosewood cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 stalks broccoli
- 4 1/2 cups water or 4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- minced fresh chives
- lemon slice, garnish (paper thin)
- 1Combine in a soup pot the oil, onions, celery, garlic and salt.
- 2Cook covered on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 3Meanwhile, rinse the broccoli, cut into 4-5 cups of florets, and peel and chop the stems to make about 2 cups.
- 4Reserve 1 cup of florets.
- 5When the onions are clear, add 4 cups of the water or stock and all the broccoli except for the reserved florets.
- 6Cover and bring to a boil.
- 7Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 8Add the oats and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until the broccoli is tender and the soup begins to thicken.
- 9Remove from the heat and then stir in the lemon juice, dill and pepper.
- 10Working in batches, puree the soup (in a blender, preferably) until smooth.
- 11Bring the remaining 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- 12Add the reserved broccoli florets and cook, covered, until they are bright green and crisp tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- 13Stir the florets and their cooking water into the soup.
- 14Garnish with lemon slices and chives if desired.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamless Broccoli Soup
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.5
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 333.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 4.1 g