Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can use homemade broth, canned or even bullion (reduce or omit salt). Omit or add vegetables as you like, but the dill is the trick!
- 12 cups beef broth
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 celery ribs, cut into thick slices plus all the inner leaves of the bunch
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (or 4 ripe tomatoes)
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 medium zucchini, thickly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh dill, small stems and leaves only
- salt, to taste
- dried dill (to garnish)
- heavy cream or half-and-half
- Cook potatoes, onions and celery in the broth for 15 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Add broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, basil and marjoram, cook until zucchini is tender.
- Add dill sprigs. Let soup cool for a few minutes, and then puree in food processor or blender (you may need to do this in batches). Salt to taste.
- Return to pan (or may freeze at this point) and bring to a boil.
- Place 2-3 Tbsp of cream in each bowl, ladle soup over. Garnish with dried dill.