Recipe by Anita Harris
This is a nice and creamy soup. Easy to make and very tasty in flavor. It works really well in the bread bowls. I like to serve a nice green salad along with the soup for a complete meal or its great as a first course at a dinner party.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced thin (or finely chopped if you prefer smaller pieces)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 -2 tablespoon sweet marsala wine (or to taste)
- 4 -6 bread boules (crusty bread bowls)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter is a large saucepan over med-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring constantly until tender.
- Add flour.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add broth, cook, stirring constantly until thickened; remove from heat.
- Stir in cream, white pepper, nutmeg and marsala wine.
- Serve hot.
- Note: I always serve mine in bread bowls.
- To Prepare bowls: I cut a piece off of the top of each bread bowl and scoop out the bread from the inside.
- I lightly butter the inside, place prepared bread bowls on a cookie sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for about 10-15 mins or until the bowls are toasted on the inside.
- (This keeps the soup from soaking too fast into the bread).