Recipe by Evie*
Love this tasty mushroom soup
Top Review by Bev
I am a Mushroom Lover! I can honestly say, without hesitation, that this is the best Cream of Mushroom Soup I have ever tasted! I admit, I have never made Cream of Mushroom Soup from scratch before, but this recipe is so easy and delicious that I will be making it from scratch from now on! I did add just a tiny bit more butter, but other than that, I changed nothing! Absolutely delicious, Evie*!!
- 4 cups button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 2 -3 tablespoons cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil leaf, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Pull the caps away from the mushroom stalks.
- Finely slice the caps and chop the stalks, keeping the 2 piles separate.
- Heat the oil and half the butter in a heavy based saucepan and add the chopped onion, mushroom stalks and 1/2-3/4 of the sliced mushroom caps.
- Fry about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, and then cover and sweat over a gentle heat for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the stock and milk to make a smooth, thin sauce.
- Add the basil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer, partly covered, for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and then pour into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Melt remaining butter in a heavy based frying pan, and fry the remaining mushrooms over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes until they are just tender.
- Pour soup into a large clean saucepan and stir in sliced mushrooms.
- Heat until very hot but not boiling and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cream.
- Serve at once garnished with the basil leaves.