Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I made these for my wedding and my daughter makes them every year at Christmas. They are wonderful. The cook time is the approximate drying time.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- liquid food coloring (red, green, yellow, or as desired)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon wintergreen extract
- Combine cream cheese and butter in saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until butter is melted, cheese is soft and the mixture is well blended.
- Add the powdered sugar.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and your choice of flavoring.
- You can divide the batch to make more color choices.
- Roll into 1 inch balls.
- Place on wax paper and press with a fork, glass bottom or cookie/candy stamp.
- Let stand at least 4 hours until mints are firm and dry on the outside but the inside is moist and creamy.
These are very good, I used Mint flavoring. Used a hand mixer for blending the butter and cream cheese together.worked great, also mixed in more powdered sugar when shaping the balls and flattened with a fork. Next time I think I will use a pastry tube instead of shaping into balls then flattening. Thanks for the recipe.
Great recipe! My powdered sugar is stored in a glass canister, so I weighed the two pounds out on my scale. I used almond extract, which everyone loved! Next time I am trying creme de menthe! :)
I've been using this recipe for years and my kids love them. I typically make green, pink (trying for red!) and white at Christmas.